Frequently Asked Questions

At the law office of The Koblegard Law Firm Attorney at Law, we are always prepared to answer your questions. However, we understand that there may be times when you want immediate answers to general questions. Below you will find answers to some common questions. For inquiries about your specific case, please contact us.

Personal injury FAQs

Estate planning FAQs

Family law FAQs

Contact us today

When you need quality legal counsel you can count on, contact the law office of The Koblegard Law Firm Attorney at Law, online or call us at 772.318.4923 to discuss your case. We look forward to speaking with you.

Personal injury FAQs

How much is my case worth?

Many factors determine how much compensation you may receive, including the severity of your injuries, your past medical history, and the amount of insurance coverage that the responsible person or company has. An attorney can assess the potential value of your claim.

Can the insurance company refuse to pay my medical bills if my car was not damaged?

No. While the insurance company might try to draw a direct correlation between damage done to your car and the severity of your personal injury, it is possible that the body sustains damage even if the car did not. The reverse may also be true—a car might experience major impact but the people might only suffer minor cuts and bruises.

I fell and was injured. Can I sue someone?

If you fell while working, your injuries may be covered by your employer's workers compensation insurance.

If your injury occurred in a store or a building, you can sue to recover damages to compensate you for your injuries. Be aware, however, that a building owner is not liable for every injury that occurs on the property. To recover for an injury, the owner or operator of the business must have breached his duty to keep the premises reasonably safe and to warn of known dangers. An attorney can provide you with additional details about premises liability.

Back to top

Estate planning FAQs

What is estate planning?

Estate planning is the accumulation and disposition of an estate, typically to minimize taxes and maximize the transfer of wealth to the intended beneficiary. Estate planning tools include the will, trust, power of appointment, power of attorney, medical power of attorney, and living will.

Do I need a will?

A will protects your property and can especially be helpful if you want to distribute your property to people other than your relatives. Without a will, Florida law dictates the distribution of your property. The default plan normally distributes property to relatives.

Is it necessary for a lawyer to draft my will?

While it may seem straightforward for you to draft your will yourself, personally-drafted wills tend to be incomplete and are, therefore, invalid under state law. An attorney familiar with your specific state laws can legally draft a will that is valid under your Florida law.

Back to top

Family law FAQs

What factors does the court consider to divide marital property?

Florida courts consider the following criteria in property division:

  • Length of the marriage
  • Either person's prior marriage(s)
  • Each person's age, health, station, income, vocational skills, employability, estates, liabilities, and needs
  • Contribution by one spouse to the education, training, or increased earning power of the other spouse
  • Opportunity to acquire future income and assets
  • Sources of income, including medical, retirement, insurance, and other benefits
  • Services rendered as a parent, wage earner, or homemaker
  • Value of each person's property
  • Standard of living established during the marriage
  • Tax consequences of the distribution
  • Custodial parent designation

I am the custodial parent. Can I deny visitation?

The purpose of visitation rights is for children of a divorced couple to understand they have two parents who are entitled to love their children and be loved in return. If the children come back from a weekend with their non-custodial parent and are upset or tell you they do not want to go anymore, that is not reason to deny visitation unless their health and welfare are endangered by the visitation. If you are having a disagreement with your ex or harbor ill feelings, that is not reason to deny visitation. However, the non-custodial parent is entitled to reasonable visitation. That means if he or she wants to see your child in the middle of the night or is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you do not have to permit visitation.

What is the procedure for adoption?

In Florida, the court's primary concern is the best interests of the child. An experienced attorney familiar with Florida's adoption procedures can help ease the adoption process.

Whether a child is placed in a new home privately or an adoption agency, a petition for adoption must be filed. The child is placed in the custody of the new parents for a period of six months to one year before the adoption becomes final. This allows home study—the monitoring of the child's welfare in the new home through a court's authorized agency visits to the home. At the end of the period, a court hearing reviews the parents' qualifications and, if satisfactory, grants a permanent decree of adoption. In this manner, the child gains all the rights of a natural child of the adoptive parents and a new birth certificate is issued, showing the adoptive parents as the child's legal parents.

Back to top


Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.


Office Location

  • Fort Pierce Office


    200 South Indian River Drive
    Suite 201
    Fort Pierce, Florida 34950